Skip To Main Content

Our History

1939

Ruth K. Newman  and her friend Grace combined their teaching talents to establish a day program for Students with Disabilities in South Orange, New Jersey. 

1955

Harriet Raffel, Ruth's daughter, assumed Directorship & Ownership of “The Gramon School”.

1980

The Gramon School moves from the S. Orange Community Center to the school building at St. Raphael's Church in Livingston.

1986

The Gramon Elementary School is established at the Clark School building in South Orange.

1990

The Gramon Elementary School is renamed Glenview Academy as it moves to the Newstead School building on Glenview Avenue in South Orange.

1991

Glenview Academy moves to the Ridge Road School building in Cedar Grove.

1992

Dr. Weeks & Dr. Gerritz acquire The Gramon School from Sam and Harriet Raffel.

1994

Dr. Weeks & Dr. Gerritz acquire TGlenview Academy from Sam and Harriet Raffel.

1995

The Gramon School and Glenview Academy move to Fairfield.

1997

New Beginnings starts as a preschool class/program in Glenview Academy.

2004

New Beginnings is approved as new school and moves into its own building in Fairfield.

2012

Dr. Weeks & Dr. Gerritz establish “The Gramon Family of Schools,” Which include Gramon School, Glenview Academy, and New Beginnings.

2012 - present

The Gramon Family of Schools is currently thriving in Fairfield with more than 250 students.

Gramon School 1939

The Gramon School - East Orange 1939