The Gramon Family of Schools offers a 6 week Extended School Year Program for our enrolled students as well as for students from other schools on a space-available basis.
The summer program includes:
- A full day of instruction, which is designed to help students maintain academic and behavioral growth.
- Continue progress on their Individualized Education Plans, Academics, and specials.
During the summer, the Gramon Family of Schools takes full advantage of the different cultural opportunities in the community as we take field trips to:
- Local swimming pools
Social skills are emphasized and practiced as students are taught to be aware of their surroundings, and to understand appropriate interactions while in the community. Teachers, staff, and therapists assist the students as they practice the skills they will need to utilize while going out into the community.
Classrooms will run:
- Mock stores/restaurants,
- Review social stories,
- Checkout location websites,
- Modify augmentative communication devices to reflect language needed
What factors are considered when deciding if ESY is appropriate?
- Regression and Recoupment- the child is likely to lose critical skills or fail to recover these skills within a reasonable time
- Degree of progress toward IEP goals and objectives
- Emerging skills breakthrough opportunities- Will a lengthy summer break cause significant problems for a child who is learning a key skill?
- Interfering Behavior- Does the child’s behavior interfere with his or her ability to benefit from Special Education
- Nature and severity of the disability
- Special Circumstances that interfere with a child’s ability to benefit from Special Education